Friday, February 6, 2015

Webcast : Bob Rogers on Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT)

I'm not exactly sure anymore how I came across this webcast from Bob Rogers, but it's definitely worth mentioning it. It's on the zExchange page of the New Era site. I didn't know New Era but apparantly its "an industry leader in the repair, recovery, data erasure and integrity of z/OS systems".

If you want to know each and every detail on how SMT works and how it's implemented on the new IBM z13, the advantages and disadvantages of it and you don't mind to spend an hour of your time listening to the flamboyant Bob Rogers style, we all know, then just go over here. I, for one, certainly don't. I'm not pretending I understand every detail of it, but I got a pretty good picture of what it's about and what it means for your z shop.

Have a look at the rest of the page as well. I see there are two lectures from Marna Walle on 'Migrating to V2R1 with "look ahead" information on V2R2' on March 10 and March 12.

So, definitely worth a little visit if you want to grasp the value of SMT for the IBM z13.

No comments: